Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Crazy assignment for real money.

On a sunday a few months back I recieved a call about painting the cover to a prop for a movie. The deadline was the next Sunday. So I had one week to create this paintings and send it off (digitally). That was the tightest deadline I have worked with and I created my best Illustration yet. BAM.

I have to say that it's success was solely based on the intentional areas of no detail to play off the form and composition. Now I just need to replicate this idea consistently well.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

I usually like the old school, and yesterday I went to the MET to draw from the statues with graphite on tracing paper. Tracing paper. It's fun stuff and I like the durability of it and Vellum.

Here are the three sketches I did. They are in the Greek section and all are from stone.
A marble statue of, I'm not sure who.

A small statue of PAN.

And a column topper, or some other similar thing. It looks like it belongs on a column but it doesn't seem to hold anything... like a ceiling.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

After many trials and great tribulations I have finally figured out Dreamweaver and Fireworks from Adobe. I knew Flash from when I was in school, but I never learned HTML or CSS. I can't say it's a great site, but it does what I need it to do. I painted the Dragon you see at the top of the Blog specifically for my site, but didn't like so much for the site.

On a side note, I am finally somewhat comfortable in my painting ability. I still have much work ahead of me, but I can now say with confidence that I have improved and am heading in the direction I've wanted to go. Here is the head of the Dragon at 100% scanned size. The actual size is an inch plus horn.

Monday, July 26, 2010

New Ideas

I recently went to Pearl Art Supply and found some "scrap" canvas that was larger than I've painted in years. It is Belgian cotton that's oil primed. The matte finish of the primer made me wonder what would happen if I used acrylics to wash in a color, then finish in oil. The acrylic adhered fantastically and now I have a miniature "master" copy of a Justin Sweet.

This was painted on the little piece that was meant for people to know what was wrapped in the plastic. It's only about 4.25"x2". I miss painting tiny. I now found out that I love this surface and have been looking for this for ever. Now I just need to find out how to get more. I also scanned it in with a quarter so you can get a good size comparison.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A new city, a new state, a new coast... so why not a new blog. This is where I plan on chronicalling my adventure in The Big Apple. Wish me luck... I need all I can get.